Sunday, August 14, 2011

The White Devil

The White DevilThe White Devil by Justin Evans

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I would probably put this at a 3.5. I really enjoyed this book, and once I was in 80 pages I found it hard to put it down. This is a different type of book for me to read. I really enjoy murder mystery type books, but I tend to stay away from ghost stories. I freak myself out way too easily and am way too scared to watch scary movies so why would I read a scary story? This novel had a good balance between the ghost/scary story and a romance/murder mystery. This made it much more manageable for me.

The book follows Andrew, a senior in high school who has somewhat of a bad reputation. He has been kicked out of his previous schools in America so as a last stitch effort his dad sends him to a prestigious, all boy British boarding school. Not long after he arrives strange things begin to happen. Including Andrew finding his only friend dead. The freaky thing, he saw the murderer. BUT........ he is pretty sure the murderer was dead also. Andrew finds himself tangled up in the history of a fellow student, Lord Byron's, life that took place in the early 1800s.

I do have to say there is some language in this book, not too much though. There also is a sex scene or two, but I thought they weren't' too wordy or descriptive. The one thing that might make people uncomfortable is some of the references to homosexuality. This is a all boy school and supposedly in the 1800's (Lord Byron's days) it was not uncommon for some of the boys to experiment. Lord Byron just "experimented" a little more seriously than some of the others. So just a little heads up if you are planning to read. I would recommend this book if you are up to it!

Happy Reading!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment