Friday, June 24, 2011

The Paris Wife


This was my book club book this month.
I thought it was pretty good. Not my favorite though.
The book follows Hadley Richardson as she becomes Ernest Hemingway's first wife.
It was set in the early 1900s, first in Chicago and then follows them to Paris.
I really enjoyed the first half of the novel.
The courtship of the two characters and seeing them fall madly in love.
The second half was still enjoyable but seemed a little slow.
I so felt for Hadley while she was desperately trying to find her role in Ernest's life.
Ernest seemed like such a complex and moody individual
and Hadley was so patient and seemed to always try to put him first.
But their life was very fast paced and somewhat racy,
which was difficult for Hadley once they had a child.
So in all, I liked this book,
I just found it somewhat slow in some places.

No comments:

Post a Comment