Monday, June 6, 2011

Hotel on t he Corner of Bitter and Sweet


This was our book club book this month.
I would have to say it wasn't my favorite, but I did enjoy reading it.
It is set in the 1980's and follows a Chinese-American man who
finds something that reminds him of his past.
This starts the flashbacks back to his childhood, the 1940's.
His childhood was difficult.
He was mistaken for a Japanese boy throughout his childhood,
who given the time period, were unfortunately passionately disliked.
He finds a friend, who happens to be a Japanese-American girl,
and they quickly bond.
Unfortunately his tumultuous relationship with his father and this new friend
being shipped away to a internment camp got in the way of this relationship.
In the present, his wife recently died from cancer
and he and his son are growing farther and farther apart.
This novel is more than a love story.
It is a story about heartbreak, loss, life, and love.
I would recommend this book,
but I did find it somewhat slow.

Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds alittle sadbto me. I just read a kid series called the last olympians and thought they were a great easy fun read. I also just read the first couple books in catherine coulters fbi series. While i didn't like beyond eden these 1st couple books have been good i really liked, the maze and the cove.

    ReplyDelete