Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

The Immortal Life of Henrietta LacksThe Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


If I could I would probably rate this a 4.5. This was such a fascinating book! I never really new about HeLa cells, never really given medical research much thought. This book tells the story of Henrietta, a woman whose cells taken without her knowledge have made some important and life changing advances in medicine. She has been dead for more than sixty years, yet her cells are still alive. They were vital in research for the polio vaccine, in vitro fertilization, and cloning, and has helped us learn more about cancer, virus's, and much much more. I really enjoyed how this book was written because I tend to get bored with books that just list facts after facts. But the author has tied in the interesting story of Henrietta, her family, and politics surrounding her cells. I definitely learned a ton reading this book and am very glad I know about this now. I think it brings up a lot of issues that thankfully the medical field have realized and have taken steps to fix and address. I would definitely recommend this book! If you are interested in history, racial issues, the medical field, research, or anything really, you will enjoy this book.

Have you read this book, what did you think?

Happy Reading!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment