Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The Book Thief

The Book ThiefThe Book Thief by Markus Zusak

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Wow! What a amazing book. Really, I definitely recommend it. It is so heart breaking but so good. Definitely not a uplifting book but it is written so well and from a interesting perspective.

The book follows Leisel when at 9 years old she is taken to a foster family, the Hubermanns. Oh, and it is set in Germany in the 1930s. On the way to her new home she finds a book in the snow and takes it. That is the beginning of her becoming the book thief. The Hubermanns live in a poor area and are already struggling to make ends meet. As Hitler becomes more powerful, life becomes more and more hungry for Leisel, her family, and her friends. But all Leisel cared about was books, and whenever the opportunity came about, she would steal a book. Leisel loved words, and lived in words. In this book we get to see Leisel become strong, brave, have relationships, experience grief, death and survival. Oh, and the narrator .... is death. Good, right?

Happy Reading!



View all my reviews

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you got to read it. I loved it when I read it. I thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete