Saturday, June 16, 2012

Divergent

Divergent (Divergent #1) by Veronica Roth

My Rating - 4.5 out of 5

This book was so good! I am somewhat obsessed with young adult but I was afraid that I have read too many dystopian type books to really enjoy this one. But I was wrong. I read this book in one day! (My kids luckily took a really long nap and than as soon as they went to sleep I picked it back up and couldn't put it down.)

Divergent is set in a run down, hollowed out Chicago. Throughout Chicago their a five factions, each with their own ideas of morals and what is important. Beatrice is in Abnegation who value selflessness. She turned sixteen a few months ago so along with all her fellow sixteen year old's she is about to undergo a test to see what faction best fits her. Even with the test results, everyone can make their own decision of which faction they want to live in. Most teenager's stay in the faction they grew up in but some decide to switch and try something new. Beatrice's results are a little different. They are inconclusive which means she is Divergent. She isn't given much information about this except that it is dangerous and she should not tell anyone. With no help from the test Beatrice decides to go with her gut and switch factions. She chooses Dauntless, who value bravery. The initiation into Dauntless is competitive and ruthless. Throughout the initiation she starts to understand who she really is, she begins to have a crush on one of her instructors and she starts to see that other factions, and possibly hers, might be in danger.

This is the first book in the series and lucky for me the second one, Insurgent, is already out. The third however won't be out till next year. Oh, there is a super short story in Four's perspective that is really good! It is called Free Four and it is free! You can read it here. I would suggest you read this after you have read Divergent though.

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment