Thursday, August 9, 2012

Birds of Paradise

 Birds of Paradise by Diana Abu-Jaber

My Rating - 3 out of 5 stars
 
Well, I am not really sure what I think about this book. It was good. But it left me a little confused. And the language! Wow, the F word is used so much in this book. I understand that one of the characters is a teenage runaway and she is living a hard life on the streets with other runaways, but really do they have to have such language? Anyways....

We follow the Muir family. Felice is about to turn eighteen but she isn't really living a normal teenage life. She ran away when she was thirteen and has basically been living on the streets since. Her mom is obviously heartbroken and confused and she deals with her feelings through baking. Felice's dad on the other hand dealt with this by working a ton. Their marriage is somewhat distant and rocky and neither one is sure how to get back on the right path. And then there is Felice's older brother Stanley. I just felt like he was ignored and put aside after Felice ran away. Now he is in his late twenties and has started up his own business. I felt like the whole story was about how distant this family has become and if they could find their way back to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment