Thursday, March 22, 2012

Okay for Now

Okay for NowOkay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Oh my goodness, this is such a good book! I absolutely loved Doug and all the character's that he encounters. This book brings up so many emotions and the best part that even though it is somewhat depressing a lot of the time, I came away with such a good, warm feeling! I love it when books leave me feeling content and happy!



The story is about Doug and his family and their move to a small town in New York. You quickly learn that Doug does not have the happy, carefree childhood that most kids do. His dad is a bit rough, he doesn't have much of a relationship with his brother's, and he seems to always have his gaurd up. Then he meets Lil. He follows her into the public library and becomes enchanted by some beautiful art of birds. You follow Doug throughout that first year in this new town and meet all kinds of characters. It didn't take long at all for me to start rooting for Doug and I even found myself rooting for all the characters, even his brothers and gym coach who at the surface are just mean.



What a cute read! And the writing is just fantastic! I love how the narrator is talking to the reader and asks you questions like "do you know what that feels like?" and how he tells us he isn't going to tell us something because he promised he would keep the secret. Haha, he is so cute! Definitely give this book a try!

Happy Reading!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment